Since we started our “done for you” social networking service within our Ready2Go Client Contact programs, we have had many inquiries into what social networking is all about. Here is a list of what we find to be the top five mistakes you want to be sure you are not making with your social networking.
1. Setting It All Up and Leaving It Be
With any social networking platform constant monitoring and participation is a must. Never forget it is a two-way conversation, not a one-way conversation. Two things to keep in mind-
- Setting up your platforms and never doing anything with them it looks as though you are not in business. Connection is what social networking is. Think of it as a huge online cocktail party. If you act like a wallflower you won’t meet and connect with a lot of people.
- You need to react to any negative conversations that may occur before they go awry. This could be damaging to your business if someone starts “spouting off” about you and you not being aware. Comments or conversations of this nature need to be rectified as quickly as possible.
2. Allowing Just Anyone in Your Office to Handle It
Just because the intern has a Facebook account doesn‘t mean he or she can handle the needs of your business. Personal networking is far different than the kind of networking you need for business. It is important that whomever is handling your account(s) understands the essence of your business and has the ability to convey those messages in the proper context and appropriate conversation.
3. Not Having a Strategy In Place
There should be a strategy in place of what it is you are trying to accomplish with your social networking. Looking to establish relationships? Want to be able to add your followers to your marketing funnel?
4. Expecting Instant Results
Social networking is not something you set up on Tuesday and get instant results by Thursday. Relationships take time to cultivate. Your objective should be to first establish trust and be the expert in whatever you do.
5. Waiting for People to Find You
People will not just find you automatically, you need to be proactive and find them. There are lots of ways you can do this with the various social networking platforms.